Friday 12 February 2010

Journeys I´m made of... - Scotland (2006)

My fascination for the highlands and the highlanders made the journey to Scotland another dream come true. It absolutely lived up to my expectations.

I probably had the highest fever ever while visiting Edinburgh. I can´t remember ever having felt that bad before, but I had five full and exciting days in that amazing city, with the constant help of paracetamol... Very good museums (that aspect defines a city experience for me...), people in a good mood, enjoying life, lovely accent, men showing proudly their not so lovely hairy legs... I celebrated Orthodox Easter at St. Andrews church. The feeling is very special when we celebrate in churches like that. It´s like a desperate attempt to bring a piece from home to us, comforting, sweet and sour at the same time. But, in any way, deeply felt.

My Lonely Planet guide, my bible, strongly recommended a journey by train from Edinburgh to Mallaig, a small fishing village on the north-west coast. I followed the recommendation (as always) and I had the opportunity to see some of the most beautiful landscapes: mountains, rivers, lochs... The highlands as I had imagined them.


Glenfinnan

Mallaig was another 'end-of-the world-like' place. Very small, with a huge sea in front of it, with the Isle of Skye 15 minutes away by ferry (I took it! The isle of Skye is a place I have to go back to). They are very proud of their small museum. A potential visitor would find it difficult to resist after reading the comments of previous visitors, strategically presented at the entrance...

While waiting at the station for the train that would take me back to Edinburgh I received a phone call that indicated that my life was about to change. And, no matter what, that´s good news. To start with.

No comments: