Thursday 4 February 2010

Back in Madeira II

What a beautiful and full day I had today. People from Madeira are truly hospitable, available to help with anything at any moment, eager to share their stories, feelings and thoughts. And so proud of their homeland.

I had lunch with Sara, at her father´s restaurant, "O Celeiro" in Rua dos Aranhas. Excellent food, delicious "pudim de requeijão" and great conversation. Once again, I was very surprised to find out how something we said, an issue that seems secondary, can inspire a person to go beyond his usual self and meet his real self.

My day finished at the Regional Archive, where José Eduardo Agualusa came to talk about the new relations of the portuguese language. It amazed me how many people showed up at 9.30pm on a rainy Thursday to hear a writer talking about language. Different place, different habits, different needs. I had forgotten this reality, that was so much my reality many-many years ago, back home.

I loved his speach. And I love seeing people cherishing their language and all those who speak it, in their own way. Keeping it alive and rich and strong. "When a language disappears, a way of speaking about the world disappears with it", he said.

Funny coincidence, last week I bought my first book of Agualusa´s and now I came to find him in Madeira. The note on the book cover says that he lives between Luanda, Rio de Janeiro and Lisbon. That sounds always nice. One day they´ll say about me: "She lived between London, a fruit market in Cape Vert and the statues of Easter Island"...

No comments: