Wednesday 17 February 2010

Journeys I´m made of... - New York (2008)

When I see images of New York today I still can´t believe I actually did that journey, I actually was there. The city felt so familiar, it was as if I had been there several times before and knew every corner.

The day started at 7 in the morning and finished around 10-11 in the evening. Walking, walking, walking... I was trying to get in as much as I could: the streets, the buildings, the smells, the people, museums, gardens, markets, the river, the ferry to Staten Island, everything. It was the steam coming out of the vents in the streets; it was the fat black policemen regulating the traffic; it was the street signs; the yellow school buses; the mess; the noise; the tall buildings; it was the view from the top of the Empire State Building in a freezing night; it was assisting the meeting of two couples in an exhibition at Whitney Museum and feeling as if I was in a Woody Allen film.

After five days I felt exhausted. My head was full of images and noise. The four days that followed in Washington brought a change in scale and the desired calm. Or so I thought. Because it was enough to get a glimpse of it when I got back to get the plane, that I forgot all about the exhaustion and noice and just felt like jumping out of the bus, getting among the crowd and immerse into its lovely agitation.

Pipilotti Rist at the MOMA. Total immersion...

Shop selling posters in Soho

Away from home...

No comments: