Wednesday 3 February 2010

Back in Madeira

It felt so good to see Funchal again from the plane. There was a glorious golden sunset shedding light on the immense ocean when I arrived. At the hotel they didn´t ask for my name, they just gave me the key... I smiled, almost laughed. This also felt good.

This time I didn´t worry about first revising my notes for tomorrow´s class. I went immediately out and took a long walk. The shops were closing, there were few people in the street, but some esplanades were full. I felt the smell of trees and grass. Then I walked along the waterfront. The sound of the waves reminded me of Greece.

Dinner at the Sacred Art Museum Café, in the Town Hall Square. I sat at a table outside. A bit chilly, but very pleasant. Excellent chocolate cake and cold water.

I´m reading I confess I have lived (Confieso que he vivido - it sounds so much nicer in spanish), Pablo Neruda´s memoirs. Somewhere in the jungle of Indochina, life taught Neruda, young consul at the time, a lesson: among the people there he discovered hidden pride, unknown brotherhood and beauty flourishing in darkness. Fortunate Neruda.

No comments: