Wednesday 10 February 2010

Journeys I´m made of... - Bretagne (2005)

Getting to Mont St. Michel was something I had always wanted to do. The rock had a very special place in my imagination and it didn´t disappoint me (once I managed to pass through all the souvenir shops and cafés, that is...).

But, as it happens sometimes, St. Michel was not after all the highlight of this trip. It was Dinan, the small town by the river, where we ate delicious crêpes and drank cidre together with many Bretons on a Sunday afternoon. It was Cancale, the grey town on the north coast, during the low tide that made the fishing boats look like abandoned orphans.

Dinan

Cancale

I saw Saint Malo from far away, on a stormy day, and my childhood song came back to me:

"Bom voyage, Monsieur Dumollet
À Saint-Malo débarquez sans naufrage..."

(I can hear my father and brother singing it with me...)

It´s raining today, a strong but quiet rain, like that winter in Bretagne. Like back home.

No comments: