Saturday 16 January 2010

Mel das Arábias

Breakfast today at Mel das Arábias with two good and long lost friends. Sweet jasmin tea served in a glass, sesame biscuits, baklava, rose and pistacchio lokum. On the shelves cans with stuffed aubergines, humus, dolma... Nice, long conversation leading to the ultimate state of nonchalance, at least for me, sitting on a beautiful middle-eastern-like sofa, having talked so much and having consumed all that sugar.

I spoke to the egyptian owner for a while. It´s incredible how close I immediately feel to people from that (our) side of the world. Shukran!

While we were there, one of the songs we heard was Lama Bada Yatathana, a tunisian version of a mouachchah, a type of song about love and drinking. Before you can listen to it, here´s the translation of the lyrics:

Lama Bada Yatathana (When the lissome girl appeared)
When she appeared, aman, aman,
my lissome love,
her beauty enslaved me, aman, aman.
When for a single moment she was mine, aman, aman
bending like a graceful branch, aman, aman.
To my fate I must submit,
and no mate have I
to listen to my lament, aman, aman.

Here it is, by SavinaYannatou and the group Primavera en Salonico.

No comments: