Tuesday 5 January 2010

Journeys I´m made of... - Egypt (1988)

First time in Egypt. First time outside Europe. I can still remember gasping when I came out to the hotel balcony and saw far away the pyramids, dark triangular volumes against the setting sun. I loved the exciting confusion of Cairo. The heat. The voice of the muezzin calling for prayer from the loudspeakers.

Left: Cairo / Right: Luxor

The desert. The villages where barefoot children were playing by the river, next to their mud-made houses. The people, smiling and very polite. The men, particularly obliging and extrovert when it came to fair-coloured girls...

Left: Near Abydos / Right: Thebes, Cheik Abd-El-Gournah

Dendara

My best-best memory: embarking on a felucca in Aswan, at the end of a long, hot day; the Nile, calm and majestic; the felucca driver singing a song. Apart from that, absolute silence. The word for it is “nonchalance”(I only know it in french). That´s what it was.

Aswan

It felt so good choosing the photos for this post. I hadn´t taken that album out for years...


No comments: