Saturday 23 January 2010

Hospitality

After all, lunch was a surprise today. It was not by the sea, but up on the mountain. What an amazing landscape Madeira has. We went to taste local specialities at a small restaurant by the road. It made me feel a traveller. Long wooden tables and benches, bolo do caco (delicious garlic bread), espetada and fried corn. In front of us a eucalyptus forrest and far away, when the sky cleared, the sea.

I had the pleasure of Henrique´s company, who´s responsible for this:



I had always thought of myself as a person who talked a lot. I realise now that I prefer listening to other people´s stories and find out what touches them, enthuses them, moves them. We discover so many things through other people. And we don´t have to talk much ourselves...

People in Madeira reminded me what hospitality is. And how warm it feels.

3 comments:

lena said...

You must walk by a "levada". Is the most beautiful piece of ART.

klk said...

lindo:)

Laura said...

vão-se misturando lindamente as vicissitudes das tuas viagens... muito mais do que interessante