Monday 25 January 2010

Journeys I´m made of... - Arctic circle (2001)

Absolutely unforgettable. It was the 'cold desert', the 'middle-of-nowhere' that always fascinates me so much. Vast frozen lands, reindeers, isolated houses. I just missed the aurora borealis, although I looked so hard and was so hopeful...

When travelling at night, we see almost nothing. Absolute darkness. And then, from time to time, a tiny light appears. It´s a lamp the Swedish put by the window, marking a human presence in this seemingly hostile land. And it comforts us.



P.S. I found a newspaper cutting on my desk this morning. It was a quote from Euripides: "Be happy; friends disappear when we are unhappy". I wonder how old he was when he reached that level of wisdom. And don´t rash into conclusions about who´s to blame. Euripides hasn´t said it all here.

No comments: