Monday 4 January 2010

Journeys I´m made of... - England (1988)

First trully life-changing journey: my first time in England. Two weeks in Cambridge, staying with good friends: Colin, classics professor and beautiful poet (he writes in ancient greek...), and Mishtu, whose batik works always accompany Colin´s poems, mixing cultures, mythologies and landscapes. I loved the peace in Trinity Hall´s 'secret' garden; the green; looking from my bedroom window at the cricket players on the field across the road; discovering a new way of being, thinking, behaving. Took short trips to London, Chester, the Lake District. An intense feeling of 'being at home'. Total bliss, but an underlying sadness.

Huge cultural shock when I eventually got back home. Still suffering from it...



Trinity Hall, 1988.

P.S. The storm finally came (is it all a matter of patience?). Strong but quiet, beautiful. Happiness? Getting caught by it. I could have looked for shelter, but didn´t want to. I went ahead, in the middle of the road, and got home completely soaked.

No comments: