Tuesday 19 January 2010

Journeys I´m made of... - London (1993-95)

The truth is that I didn´t mind the gap. I plunged into it. And an immense world opened up to me.

What I loved the most? The accents; talking to a stranger that happenned to sit next to me; being greeted in the small shops with "Morning, love"; the sounds of "Please, mind the gap" or "Spare a change, please"; the neighbourhood pubs; the smell of Sainsbury´s; the smell of fried onion when coming out from Covent Garden tube station; the word "tube"; walking along the South Bank; rushing out from the last class to be at the Royal Festival Hall at 7 for a concert; the strong wind currents when reaching the Barbican at night; the Camden Town market; the below the average italian restaurants; walking in Belgravia and Chelsea; Regent´s Park;...

And I liked myself, then, there.

1 comment:

cecilia.folgado@gmail.com said...

Me too, I liked myself (better) there. I chose to return as I was unbearably divided between 'here' and 'there'. Now I know I will always be unbearably divided between 'there' and 'here'. What I liked the most... the brisk and cold winter air, yellow daffodils, climbing up the tube 'bloody' stairs, going to the bank, the post office, and listen to: "You know in this country..." and being able of roll my eyes up with boredom as if in fact I was in my country. I miss doing strange things like going to meetings about unknown poets on rainings mornings. I miss blackheath and the most wonderful videoshop in the whole world! I miss st pauls, the river, the bridges and every path I walked. I miss myself when there. Everyday. So... I kind of understand what you mean.