Saturday 30 April 2011

Argentina, day 8 - From Buenos Aires to Santa Fe

They had told me that Buenos Aires feels like Athens. It does. Lots of traffic, lots of noise, dirty pavements (maybe even dirtier than those in Athens), lots of people. And demonstrations in every corner.

I got out of the hotel without map and without camera, I just felt like wandering. At first, it was as if I had been abruptly, violently taken from the place where I had been yesterday. Two very distant worlds, not only because of the kilometres that separate them. I miss that other one. I would have liked to spend more, much more, time there.

I took advantage of the fact that my wandering around took me to Teatro Colon, and I went in for the guided tour. Argentines keep congratulating me on how well I speak and understand their language... Apparently so well, that I paid one third of the price for the guided tour, being considered a resident. I didn´t correct them, I enjoyed the feeling.

On the way to Jorge Newbury airport, on either side of the 'autopista' there is an extensive slum. It´s incredible the quantity of 'houses'. And the poverty. It´s so close to the road that it looks as if the autopista was a 'crown' they decided to put on the slum. They told me that it´s called Villa 31 and this is where many immigrants live, especially from Paraguay and Bolivia. The situation is totally out of control, so the mayor of Buenos Aires decided to give bright colours to the 'houses'. And there are already organize´d tours...


Another delay at the airport. The second. Three hours this time. Anyway, things have gone smoothly in general, I am not complaining. It´s just that delays are tricky, they give me plenty of time to think.

So, in Santa Fe, in a real argentine home, in the company of very good friends, and the friends of the friends. To celebrate Agustín´s wedding.

No comments: