Friday 14 May 2010

Berlin - Day 2

Day 2 started disappointingly and ended divinly.

It was 8.15 when I arrived at Reichstag to visit Norman Foster´s Dome. And the queue was as long as it had been the day before. Nobody went to sleep? It took me one hour to get up there. But it was worth it.

Next stop: the famous Jewish Museum. Which is more of a famous building of a famous architect than anything else. What a pity. So totally confusing, both in terms of orientation and of storytelling. Great design, not very visitor-friendly.

I then walked to Checkpoint Charlie to assist more of the kitsch scenes I had seen yesterday in front of the Brandenburg Gate and to visit the Mauermuseum, that is the Wall “Museum” (huge robbery; why doesn´t any guidebook say so????). How can a city with such an intense historical past allow for so much bad taste? I keep wondering how ex-East-Berliners feel about all this.

My meeting with history was at the Topography of Terror, a very good information centre on the site where the SS and Gestapo Headquarters once stood. It opened last week. A different environment here, different visitor attitudes as well. And a well-told story. Then another four museums during the afternoon, the highlight being the discovery at the Neue Nationagalerie of Ernst Ludvig Kirchner and his delicious painting “Potsdamer Platz”.

After having walked all these kilometres, I totally deserved my delicious turkish dinner at Hasir´s. Beautiful restaurant, excellent food. My nationality triggered even better customer service and lots of smiles.

And now, bed, sweet bed. If I try hard to dream of foot massage, will it have an effect in the morning?

No comments: