Thursday 13 May 2010

Berlin - Day 1

I was out of the airport by 1.30 pm. It felt as if it was a Sunday or a bank holiday. The streets were practically empty; shops, cafés and restaurants closed. The more we approached the centre, the more eastern-european it felt.

By 3 pm I was already in a museum. A dream came true and I was finally at the Pergamon museum. Got my ticket, went through a small door and... I held my breath! I was already in front of the altar. Who could ever think that such a small door would take us to such a great, imposing, beautiful monument. I stayed were I was for a few minutes, just looking. Eventually, I started walking around, recognising little by little all the figures I had studied so long ago.


Three museums later and having argued with two guards about stupid rules (they in german, I in english...), time for a pause at Einstein Café in Unter den Linden. Cappuccino (the best ever outside Italy and Greece) and delicious apfelstrudel. Then, ready for a few more kilometres. Kitsch scenes in front of the Brandenburg Gate, with idiots disguised as GDR officers or American soldiers and other idiots (tourists) going along with it and taking photos next to them... Huge cue to see the glass dome of the Reichstag (I´ll leave it for tomorrow morning). On the way back to the hotel I entered the Staatsoper. The performance was finishing and the usher let me go in to see the room, since... that´s all I can see. Everythings is sold out.

Dinner time and, although this time I was unfaithful to my usual companion (the Lonely Planet), I followed the Rough Guide´s suggestion and ended up in a 1913 tiny café-restaurant called Metzer Erk. Just Germans, which is always a good sign. It makes us feel less tourists and more at home. Curry sausage with fries and horrible german white wine. I am dizzy and I am done for today.

No comments: